Friday, January 28, 2011

Review: PLAY DOUGH RECIPES (and a question for readers)

I just have a quick question for those of you that are reading our blog. How would you feel about us reviewing recipes? Specifically, healthy recipes? I have been on my weight loss journey for only 2 short weeks but have already made lots of great dishes. Unfortunately when I search for low calorie meals, I usually find 600 calorie dishes. To me, that's not low calorie! I like my 3 meals and 3 snacks, so 600 calories would blow my calorie count for the day. So, opinions would be great! :)


Today I'm reviewing two different play dough recipes. I tried a kool-aid play dough recipe for the first time and am going to compare it to the recipe I always use. :) 


Kool-Aid Play Dough


Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup salt
3 TBS oil
1 package of Koolaid (use the color of your choice)
Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients together and cook over medium heat for a few minutes until dough forms the consistency you want. Remove from heat and cool. Keep in airtight container, refrigerate until used.



Regular Play Dough Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp oil
food coloring
Directions:
  • Cook all ingredients together over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring well. Remove from heat and cool. Store in airtight container or sealed plastic bag.


The kool-aid recipe cooked in about 2 minutes, while the other took about 8 minutes. While cooking, the regular recipe was very soupy compared to the kool-aid one. The yield on both was similar, the regular stuff had just a little more. Also the regular play dough had a better consistency. The kool-aid type is a little bit 'gritty' in comparison, but if you only make the kool-aid type you probably won't notice.




The kool-aid color evened out after the kids played with it a bit but it still wasn't as bright as the other. Maybe try two packets of kool-aid. :)

Overall, I think both recipes were great. The kool-aid one is simpler, and faster. The regular one is smoother and brighter. They both worked well in our little play dough 'pasta' machine, and this stuff is a lot cheaper than the store-bought play-dough. If you have your own recipes, feel free to share!




No comments: