Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken and Rice Crock Pot Meal

Ok I know we don’t usually do recipes, but I figured I would share this review of a recipe that I have recently tried. Its quite simple and comes from the same book that my Simply Delicious Pork recipe came out of. This one was of chicken and rice, probably two of my most favorite things to eat.

This one was an easy peasy recipe that was quick to prepare and tasted great. I love crock pot meals because its basically a fix it and forget it meal. If you’re a busy mom or a working mom they are a great way to be able to fix it up in the am and by the time you get home from work its ready to eat!

The Recipe:

1 lbs of chicken

3 cans of cream of chicken soup

2 cups of rice

1 cup of water

Dried celery

Salt and pepper

Add rice, soup and water to crock pot and mix. Add chicken sprinkle dried celery and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low

I did not have dried celery so I used celery seed. It was still good. I used tenderloins just because that is usually what I have in the freezer. I also added a tiny bit of shredded cheddar. The chicken is super tender, so much so when I tried to cut it, it was more like shredding it. The rice of course is completely cooked.

There are a few things I would change with this recipe the next time I do it. 1. I would use cans of cheddar cheese soup, although the chicken soup was good everything is better with cheese! 2. It needs something crunchy. Maybe Chinese noodles or like fritos… Something… not to say it isn’t good as is but…

Pros: It tasted great, it was quick, it was easy, it was lo-cal. It was enough to make 6-8 servings making each serving between 328-246 calories!! (according to myfitnesspal.com). Its cheap! $.79 per can for the cream of chicken soup, rice varies depending on the size and same with the chicken.. Rice is usually something I have on hand as well as chicken. So its usually just the soup I have to grab.

Cons: someone may have texture issues being it is a bit mushy.

Overall: it’s a great little dish. It can be changed in the easiest ways to make it to your tastes. For example you could use cans of cheddar cheese and cans of cream of broccoli, throw in some shredded cheese and some broccoli and you have a chicken, broccoli and cheese dinner. Or use cream of mushroom and throw in some mushrooms, the possibilities are pretty much endless. Get creative!! You don’t have to worry about burning it because its in the crock pot.

Happy Dining!!!!

1 comment:

Lovee said...

http://www.lovee.com/ is the fun, friendly spot for style and fashion for stroller that’s and unique as you are!
You can buy bugaboo stroller in affordable price for your baby !