Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Toshiba Satellite Laptop: Ashley's Review

Now, I'm not a full-on 'techie' but I know what I like, so here it goes haha:

I purchased this laptop from my local Best Buy back in March (you can also find it here on Amazon.com). I'm a business woman, so I needed something that would fit my needs. What initially attracted me to this particular model was the low price (it was actually on sale) and the 3GB of RAM (RAM = performance). In addition to that, the screen size (15.9''), Operating System (Windows 7), and built-in wireless networking were all features that further solidified my decision to buy. I had a 3 (now 4) year old, so we bought the extended warranty to be on the safe side, as well as a cooling device and a carry bag. Altogether we spent about $500.
     Once I got it home, I was immediately impressed with the ease of setup. Everything was ready to go! All I had to do was turn it on and click a few buttons. My husband, on the other hand, spent a significantly longer amount of time setting up his "fancy" (and more expensive) blue Gateway. After the setup was complete, I was ready to roll! The system came with a trial version of Microsoft Office and Mcafee Security Scan, as well as a few other bells and whistles. Overall, it was a great starting experience. I was excited to begin using my new toy :)
     The only thing I've come to dislike about my new laptop is the battery life. It seems annoyingly short (possibly even shorter than the claimed 2 hours) and I have to keep it plugged in often. This could be due to my heavy usage, so I haven't held that completely against it. It's fast (at least for me), easy to navigate, and I really like some of the new features that Windows 7 has to offer (like being able to position two windows side-by-side). I don't watch many videos or play much music (except through my online playlist), and I certainly don't do any fancy graphic design (Photo Pos Pro, anyone?). If any of that is important to you, I would suggest finding something a little more advanced.
     Don't get me wrong, this may not be the most high-end, souped up computing device out there but it gets the job done and done well. The fact that I am able to easily use (or figure out) its features makes it a top-notch product in my book.

So, I give it 5 out of 5 stars for its category (practical computing).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have the same laptop and a 27' Imac. Thank goodness for the Imac because about 4 months into owning this laptop, things started going downhill. My mom has the same one and hers is starting to do the same thing. I only use it for writing documents and occasionally browsing the internet. Same for my mom. So give it a few months and then give an update on to how yours is doing! :) Just thought I'd give you a heads up!