Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Old TIme Caramels

While wondering around on etsy one day I spotted some caramels. I was intrigued by the many different kind of caramels that were being sold. I came across one company that had a little sample pack so I decided to try them. I got a mix of all their caramels. They have Original, orange, cinnamon, peppermint, licorice, apple, apple cinnamon, and coconut. For $8 you get a 12oz bag of caramels.



All of them were very creamy, great texture.. But I have to admit it was odd having different flavors. The cinnamon was the oddest. I think because it was the strongest of the flavors. The cinnamon overpowered the actual caramel flavor. My favorite by far was the coconut and the original. The mint was good just a hint of mint and the apple and orange were very very light flavor. The licorice, though by far my least favorite, only because I am not a big fan of black anise anyway, was a stronger flavor but it was still not as strong as the cinnamon. Thought not a bad thing especially if you like those flavors. My husband tried the cinnamon and gave it thumbs down saying that caramels should taste like caramel not cinnamon. Which if you are in his line of thinking definitely get their original. All the flavors were very smooth, and as I said very creamy, nice and chewy.
They do sell their caramels in uncut blocks as well as individually wrapped. They have 2 different size sampler packs so if you cant choose I would recommend that. The shipped very quickly and came in little bag with the company name, info and ingrediants.

Pro: cheap, variety, very smooth, creamy, great taste

Con: some of the flavors are a bit strong, the caramels were not labeled. So you have to guess at the flavors.

Overall: Very good hand made caramels. They are a great little treat for yourself or for someone else who loves caramels. I will definitely order from them again for the coconut.
You can find them on etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/oldtimecaramels and they do have a face book page. Right now they are giving out codes for a percentage off your next purchase! Also they just got rid of high fructose corn syrup from their supplies! I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did!!

1 comment:

Old Time Caramels said...

As the owner of Old Time Caramels, I want to thank you for sharing the information about my shop. I am glad that, for the most part, you were pleased with the caramels and that you were willing to share your opinions in your blog. I am also glad that you feel that you will be ordering again.

Thanks again,
Vernon Palmer